Saturday, January 22, 2011

Congratulations, David Archuleta!

On January 22, 2008, I tuned in to the American Idol Season 7 auditions with my family expecting laughs, since due to the writers' strike that year, I had nothing else better to watch. Little did I know that a 16-year-old boy named David Archuleta, who suffered from vocal paralysis at age 13, could change my life... forever. Cheesy I know, but what can I say? I had no expectations of him at all; he looked too young to audition and his talking voice was slightly wheezy due to his diagnosis. But he opened his mouth and sang with such technique, emotion, and soul- I was just overwhelmed! He took a song I didn't like much and turned it- by applying his own twist- into one I could not stop listening to.
Now, three years later to the day, with his voice richer and stronger than ever before, he has released 3 albums (David Archuleta- 11/11/08, Christmas From the Heart- 10/13/09, The Other Side of Down 10/05/10), a memoir (Chords of Strength- 06/01/10), and brought increased awareness to various charities- all before his 20th birthday on December 28, 2010.
                           (Photo credit to Larissa [I think...] November 2010, Singapore)
Congratulations David, and thanks for taking us fans on this amazing ride with you. You are a great inspiration to many, me included. You have a heart of gold and wisdom beyond your years. Can't wait to see what else you'll achieve in the future. Rock on. Te amamos mucho.

No comments:

Post a Comment